15 April, 2008

The Name of the Wind

I'm not even sure how to approach this and effectively get my point across. Regular readers of this blog have gotten used to me raving about Steven Erikson and other writers that catch my attention. Keep that in mind as you read this entry and maybe you'll understand my point. I recently finished reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I've had this book on my "read eventually" list since it came out last year, but then I also have about another 20 or 30 books on that list as well. For some reason last week I got a burning desire to finally read it. As far as reading goes, it may have been the best decision of my life. I cannot do justice to the awe I felt reading this book. It may simply be the best book I have ever read. I have not felt such wonder reading a book since reading Tolkien for the first time. Don't get me wrong. This book is not at all similar to Tolkien. It is fantasy but it may be the first fantasy book I've ever read that I would recommend to a non-fantasy reader and not be concerned about them coming back and telling me it was alright "for fantasy". I'm nearly convinced that if you don't like this book then you don't like books at all. I read some reviews hailing this as an "adult" Harry Potter. That is an insult to this book. But if it gets those posers to read some real literature, I would let it slide. This book made me feel on a level nothing has in a long time. I hope the rest of this series lives up to the initial installment. I wish the second book were out now. I could continue to write words and not do justice to this book. I recommend it to absolutely anyone who likes to read. I hope this book gets the attention and reverence it deserves. I hope Rothfuss can carry through on the unspoken promise he has given the reader by delivering such a powerful novel. Finally, I hope everyone feels the same awe I felt at discovering this treasure. This is how literature should always make you feel. Needless to say, I give this book a 5 out of 5.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really glad to hear that this book is so great. I've thought about reading it for some time now; and I appreciate that I can now buy it with confidence knowing that the story is so well done.

By the way, your disparaging remarks about Harry Potter are probably having an adverse effect on a certain person's eternal rest. She's probably spinning in her grave.

How's New Orleans?

Grilled Cheese Samurai said...

I just bought the paperback a few days ago. I'm saving it as one of the books I am going to read when I go up north.

Good to hear yet another great review on it...I got's ta say I am excited to read it.