01 June, 2008

Lost in Transition

This is the first chance I've had to comment on the Lost finale which aired this past Thursday. I have said before that I think this has been the best season thus far and the finale did nothing to disabuse me of that notion. I remember having a conversation with a friend sometime during the second season in which I insisted that the show would start to suck if they ever had contact with the outside world or, worse, actually got off the island. Well, it doesn't happen often but I was wrong. I believe this season has been so good exactly because they got off the island. The fast forwards have shown that there is so much at work here that may or may not have to do anything with the island at all. The writers of this show do an excellent job of changing our conceptions of the characters and showing that choices are never "right or wrong" or "good or evil". It all just depends on perspective. I am very interested to see where the writers lead the characters. We have already seen many of them change dramatically through the use of the flash forwards employed throughout this season. If you used to watch this show and gave up because of season 3 (admittedly weak except for the jaw dropping finale) I would strongly urge you to catch up before fall. This show is strong again and it would be a shame to miss the ride.

No comments: